Identity Management Services provide these capabilities:
- Authentication – Quickly verify user identities (Who you are).
- Authorization – Control users access (What you can access).
- Administration – Manage users and the policies for controlling user’s access privileges.
Identity Management Services include:
- Person Registry – University’s identity system implemented for creation and maintenance of users’ electronic identities at the university and the resources they are permitted to access.
- Single Sign-On (CAS) – A central authentication service (CAS) that enables a user to be prompted to log-in only once to access multiple web applications that are integrated with CAS.
- Enterprise Directory Service (OpenLDAP) – University repository of users and attributes for use in authentication and providing directory information. Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is the application protocol for querying and modifying the directory services.
- Password Repository (Kerberos) – University’s password store used at the University for NetID. When a user or application authenticates with the central authentication service (CAS), the password is validated against what is stored in the Kerberos password repository.
- User Network Identifier (NetID) – An assigned University wide identifier required by online services to be entered along with password during log in to authenticate for access.
- Cross Institution Single Sign-on (Shibboleth) – A solution that enables University users to sign-in to non-Rutgers applications using their Rutgers NetID account.
- NetID+ (Two-Factor Authentication- Duo) – NetID+ is a two-factor authentication service implemented for employees, guests, and students. It provides additional security that enables university systems to verify user’s identities with greater certainty.
- Rutgers Guest Request System – Rutgers Guest Request System is an enterprise self-service tool that enables the University Guests to submit their requests to obtain a digital identity (NetID and active guest role).